1. Enter budget amount. First, type in how much you would like, or can afford, to spend on apartment furnishings. The calculator will work even if you left this cell empty. But my advice is to type in an amount based on your budget or best guess. This way, you get a sense of how much you need to adjust your expectations.
2. Custom-build your checklist. Next, click 'check all' under the column heading "Value for Money". This will generate our curated list of value-for-money products for each of the items in the apartment checklist, with their corresponding prices. The calculator will then automatically calculate how much all these items will cost, and then calculate your savings or budget deficit.
3. Customize item-by-item. Then go through the list item by item to either check the button under "Custom Price" and setting the price to $0 (if say, you don't need it), or to check the button under "Best Reviewed" to replace the value-for-money product with the corresponding "best reviewed" product.
4. Learn about the item/product. To learn more about the item, product, or how to choose which to buy, click on the product brand. It will automatically open a new window with our blog article about the item and product.
5. Make your purchase. Once you've fully customized your very own apartment checklist, go ahead and click on the "Buy from Amazon" button to purchase the items. Disclaimer: The price we show on this checklist may not reflect the actual price of the linked product on Amazon. The prices we show are rounded up to the nearest 5 (e.g. $12.50 is rounded up to $15, and $8.87 to $10). Also, the prices we show do not include taxes or delivery charges. Lastly, it's worth subscribing to Amazon Prime to take advantage of price reductions and free shipping, especially if you're planning to purchase multiple items on Amazon.
6. Print your fully customized checklist. Alternatively, if you prefer buying these items in the store in person, you may download a printable PDF copy by clicking on the button at the bottom of the checklist.
Here's a question that anyone who ever had to furnish their own place for the very first time must have asked at some point in their life. Surprisingly, the internet doesn't have a good answer, at all. It's perhaps with good reason. To answer this question, one would need to know what furnishings are needed in the first place, and in the second place, find out the total cost to purchase one's preferred product brands.
A big part of the reason why I have decided to create this first apartment checklist is to address precisely this problem. The fully interactive checklist above allows the user not only to figure out and decide for themselves which apartment furnishing they need and want to purchase, it also calculates for them how much it would cost to make the purchase.
The list is as exhaustive (and I constantly update it to add new items or new information), so that any new homeowner or first-time renter won't have to look elsewhere to find out if they missed out on any apartment essential.
The short answer: any new renter or new home owner. This ranges from individuals of legal-age who are moving out on their own and living away from their parents for the first time, to retired couples down-sizing and getting rid of all the unnecessary stuff they owned in the past and getting a fresh new start.
Students looking for a college apartment checklist should look no further.
Families who own larger houses - two-bedroom or five-bedroom - instead of a one-bedroom apartment should also find this checklist valuable. After all, the items that may be found in the other rooms of the house would still apply.